Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Farm House Sunset - PEI


This is for Virtual Paintout August 2010 Price Edward Island challenge. It's oil on 9x12.

This is the painting I originally started out working on for the Prince Edward Island challenge. Half way through it, something just didn't look right. That's when I put it down and started the Lake of Shining Water painting, which was a lot simpler in terms of composition, color and value.

What had originally caught my eyes with this scene was the country side feel: simple house, fresh laundry, picnic table, sparkling ocean and sunset light filled atmosphere. (ref photo) I was having trouble bring all the pieces together, especially from a color perspective as there were too many different elements. My last minute attempt to fix it just before the challenge deadline was to simplified color to mostly purple and yellow related colors (complementary). I think this is a good time to put down my paint brushes on this one since I think the painting will look very over-painted if I keep tweaking things.

No comments:

Post a Comment