Friday, October 15, 2010

Twin Doors - San Miguel de Allende, Mexico


This is for Virtual Paintout October 2010 challenge, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. It's oil on 8x10 canvas board.

The only place I've been to in Mexico is Cancun, and I have no idea where San Miguel de Allende is. So I was browsing in Google Map. The impression I got was the buildings were so colorful, the sky was so blue, there were so many bright colors there.

So I picked a simple composition, two doors, plant with flowers, and the sky. (ref photo) I liked the orange color wall contrasting to the blue sky, and I like the plant hanging over the walls. I also wanted this painting to have more intense colors. In the original photo, the sun was shining from the top but slightly from the back side of the wall, so there were no strong shadows casted. However, as I started to paint, I thought something was lacking. So I moved the position of the sun slightly so that there will be strong long shadows casted, referring to the wall on the opposite side of this street as needed for the shape of the shadows.

The colors used in this painting included cobalt blue, cadmium orange, terra rosa, ultramarine violet, lemon yellow, sap green, tree green, viridian, ultramarine blue, magenta, yellow orchre, Portland grey dark medium light, raw umber, burnt sienna and sepia.

No comments:

Post a Comment