Friday, October 29, 2010

Window


This is for Rookie Painter, Oct 2010 challenge, the Window. It's oil on 8x10 canvas board.

I changed some elements from the original picture (ref photo). I made the picture landscape instead of portrait since I wanted the focus to be more on the window. In order to make the window appear less symmetrical, I opened one side of the window and created a sense of breeze coming in by making the left curtain sway. I also made the window frame darker so that it won't stand out as much. In the original photo, there were so many folds on the blanket that it looked almost like someone could be inside the blanket. So I gave a slightly more explicit hint of a person there.

The canvas was prepared by a black acrylic ground. The palette is relatively limited in this painting: yellow orchre, terra verte, raw and burnt umber, ultramarine violet, ultramarine blue, lemon yellow, white, and Portland greys.

4 comments:

  1. Great work Rebecca!I loved the way you did the curtains and the light on the folds of the blanket.Really appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding piece. I love the sense of light and breezy from the open window and swaying curtain. I really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the movement you gave the curtains with the open window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like especially your curtains, we can feel the fresh air coming through the open side, and the format of your painting, too!

    ReplyDelete