Saturday, December 17, 2011

Hanging Towel with Small Bowl

This is for Rookie Painter December 2011 challenge. It's oil on 10x14 canvas panel.

This hanging towel may look very simple, but there are so many subtleties in its color and values. There are many creases and folds, and inside each crease, the value changes from dark to light. Around the creases, there are different values for the lights, and as it turns into the shadow side, value and color changes. Some edges are soft and some edges are sharp. The change in color into blue at the bottom of the towel also effects the color (warm / coolness) on the towel.

I can actually keep working to refine some more on this painting, but I had to stop as I need to pack for my family's two week vacation, finish writing all the holiday cards, pay the bills etc. So this is as far as I got with this painting.

Thank you to those of you who take the time to read my blog and leave such nice and encouraging comments. Happy holidays to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting, and I like your explanations.
    happy holidays and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right; not nearly as simple as it first appears to be. Very good work!

    ReplyDelete